No announcement yet.

How common is pet insurance worldwide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Promotion] How common is pet insurance worldwide?

Pardon my ignorance but I've been wanting to know this for quite a while. I know that pet insurance is available in a lot of countries, but how common is it exactly? I definitely know it's available in the US, the UK, AUS, NZ but where else? Anyone mind telling me? Thanks in advance

Re: How common is pet insurance worldwide?

In Sweden around 90% of the dogs comming in the clinic have veterinary insurance and around 75% of the cats. But that's my estimate from what I treat.

Comment

According to Swedens national radio about 80% of all dogs in Sweden are insured, which supposedly makes it the most insured dog population worldwide.
      Regarding cats though the number is probably more like 20%.
      http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=4625126
      Last edited by audriana; 5th February 2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

No pet insurance is available in Trinidad and Tobago.

Comment

Rare in Portugal.

Comment

Rare in Slovenia to. Insurances are pretty expensive, they cover around 50% of veterinary service costs.

Comment

Becoming more common in the US but still a minority of clients.

Comment

Although in theory there are available in my country I have never had a client with an insurance policy nor have I heard of one. So you might say that it's extremely uncommon.

Comment

In Spain they are quite rare...I have had just one client with his dog insuranced...and both were from united States so I asumed it was more frecuent there.
                  But I worked for a short period in London and I think there is quite common

Comment

No pet insurance in Latvia

Comment

There is a pet insurance here (Argentina) but it's very, very limited.

Comment

Becoming very popular in Perth, Western Australia and quite popular in Albury/Wodonga N.S.W./VIC border.... Australia. With 4 main insurance companies I know of....

Both my dogs are insured for $100 excess for 1 year as they are staying with friends whilst we are in East Timor.

Comment

Yes, it is becoming more popular in Australia, I suspect mainly in the middle-upper range income earners with a little extra income to spend on their animals but not wanting to fork out on a big unexpected bill. I've heard some good outcomes amongst friends about having their pets insured, but personally I am not in favour of doing it for my pets. Seeing how limited some of the 'basic' insurance plans offered by some companies are, and having to deal with insurance forms returning with owners because their insurance company doesn't want to pay up over minor details (ie. same disease as last time, or NOT the same disease as last time), I just don't think it is that worthwhile. I've even heard of a company not paying up because they considered the dog's problem to be the SAME "skin condition" when the dog was in fact seen for 1) a skin melanoma, 2) a skin laceration, and 3) an eyelid lump. On top of that, I generally don't agree with having insurance, as I consider it much like gambling.

I suppose I am in a fortunate position where I am able to keep my pets out of high risk situations (eg. roads, other animal etc), and provide them with all necessary preventative care to make it less likely I would end up with a big vet bill. But I also consider reasonable financial planning to be essential when keeping an animal. For me, that means ensuring I always have enough funds saved to treat my animals if need be. For others, it might mean paying money to an insurance company monthly in case something bad happens in the future. I personally don't think that would pay off financial in the long term. Each to their own, I suppose.
                          Last edited by leighmg; 13th February 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

often in uk, depends on the area, not commune in the countryside

Comment

Pretty uncommon in the US market. Things like care credit are more common but the current model of the client paying for services upfront and then being reimbursed isn't very popular here.

Comment

Working...
                              X