ECFVG certification program Summary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECFVG certification program Summary

The ECFVG certification program includes the following four steps Plus NAVLE:
    • Step 1: Enrollment in the ECFVG program and proof of graduation from a non-AVMA/Council on Education accredited veterinary school or college
    • Step 2: Demonstration of English language competency
    • Step 3: Assessment of basic and clinical sciences knowledge
    • Step 4: Assessment of hands-on clinical veterinary skills
    • North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE®) ( Not Part of AVMA but the NAVLE is a requirement for licensure to practice veterinary medicine in all licensing jurisdictions in North America.
    Step One Registration
    • A completed and notarized ECFVG application form (Appendix 1)
    • Two passport-sized photographs of the applicant
    • Certified, notarized, or official (issued directly by school) photocopies of the applicant's veterinary college diploma and transcripts (for each year), both in the language of issuance and as a certified English translation if necessary
    • Payment of **1,000.00
    Step Two English Language Ability

Non-native English speaking candidates must provide the ECFVG with proof of comprehension and ability to communicate in the English language by meeting the minimum requirements established by the ECFVG on one of the following four assessment tools: the TOEFL, TWE, and TSE; the internet-based TOEFL (iB-TOEFL; the IELTS; or the CAEL Assessment.
    The minimum requirements for the iB-TOEFL are: 25 in listening, 22 in writing, 22 in speaking, and 23 in reading; no minimum overall score is required. Candidates MUST achieve at least the minimum passing scores for each of the four sections of the internet-based TOEFL, with section scores accepted from separate internet-based TOEFL exam administrations conducted over a two-year period.
    Candidates choosing to take the IELTS MUST take the academic IELTS. The minimum required score on the academic IELTS is 6.5 (overall band score), with at least a 6.5 in the listening band, a 6.0 in the writing band, and a 7.0 in the speaking band.
    Candidates choosing to take the CAEL Assessment MUST take each subsection of the CAEL Assessment. The minimum required score on the CAEL Assessment is 60 (overall score), with at least a 60 in the listening band, a 50 in the writing band, and a 60 in the speaking band.
    For candidates whose native language (ie, the common language of an individual's country of birth) is English, the English language examinations may be waived. To do so, eligible candidates must provide documentation of at least three years full-time attendance at a secondary (high) school at which the complete language of instruction was English.

Step Three Basic and Clinical Sciences Knowledge

To complete Step 3, candidates must attain a passing score on the Basic and Clinical Sciences Examination (BCSE).
    The computer-based BCSE consists of 225 multiple-choice questions, many with graphics, that must be completed within a 220-minute test session.
    The table that follows provides a summary of the major content areas, subdomains, and numbers of questions in the BCSE. Each subdomain is not equally represented in the content area it is related to; however, there will be questions from each subdomain on the examination.

1. Anatomy Anatomy = Number of Questions 18-22
    2. Toxicology Pharmacology, physiology, and toxicology = Number of Questions 24-28
    3. Pathology Anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, and pathophysiology = Number of Questions 22-26
    4. Medicine Etiology, diagnosis and treatment of disease and dentistry = Number of Questions 42-50
    5. Principles of Surgery and Anesthesia Surgery and anesthesia = Number of Questions 34-38
    6. Diagnostics Diagnostic techniques and diagnostic imaging = Number of Questions 26-30
    7. Preventive Medicine Animal welfare, epidemiology, nutrition, public heatlh, and regulatory programs = Number of Questions 18-22
    TOTAL 225 questions

The fee to apply for the BCSE is **80.00. The fee, in the form of a money order or cashier's check made payable to the AVMA, or credit card payment, must accompany a candidate's completed application. The fee is good for one test window only, and is nonrefundable and nontransferable.
    The BCSE is offered at Prometric test centers in a number of different countries (Asia Pacific, Japan , China, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Asia))

Step Four Clinical Skills Assessment
    To complete Step 4, candidates must attain a passing score on all sections of the CPE.
    CPE format—Beginning January 1, 2008, the CPE is a 3-day, 6-section, hands-on clinical skills examination, administered by the faculty of a college of veterinary medicine or other authorized testing institution. The skill level expected for a passing grade on each of the 6 sections of the CPE is that of an entry-level graduate of an accredited veterinary college. Only well-prepared candidates will be able to pass the CPE.
    The 6 sections of the CPE include: anesthesia, diagnostic techniques, equine practice, food animal practice, small animal medicine, and surgery. The CPE Manual of Administration describes specific sections and skills to be assessed and serves as the guide for administering the CPE to all candidates.
    Fees—The full CPE fee is **5,000 for ECFVG candidates initially registered in the certification program on and after January 1, 2006 and who have paid a one-time ECFVG QAP fee on program registration. The full **5,000 CPE fee is forwarded to the site administering the CPE.

The full CPE fee is **6,000 for ECFVG candidates initially registered in the certification program prior to January 1, 2006; **1,000 covers the maintenance of the CPE Quality Assurance Program (QAP), while the remaining **5,000 is forwarded to the site administering the CPE to help defray examiners' salaries, facility and equipment costs, animal procurement and maintenance costs, and other associated expenses.

North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE®)

The NAVLE is a 360 item computer based multiple choice examination, administered during two testing windows per year. The NAVLE is a requirement for licensure to practice veterinary medicine in all licensing jurisdictions in North America. The NAVLE consists of 360 clinically relevant multiple choice questions. Approximately 10% of the items include graphic images (photographs, radiographs, photomicrographs, etc.). Visual images are important to the practice of veterinary medicine, but were not used on the national licensing examinations until the implementation of the NAVLE.

The NAVLE is offered throughout North America and at certain overseas sites at computer testing centers operated by Prometric. The NAVLE is available during a four week testing window in November-December, and a two week window in April.
    The NAVLE fee for the 2009-2010 testing cycle is **525, in US funds. There is an additional **275 fee for overseas testing.
    Last edited by ecfvg; 11th February 2010, 05:19 AM.

Thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss very much

Comment

thanks for the info, now fallen away a lot of unnecessary questions

Comment

What kind visa type I need to take ECFVG certification program??? I am not in USA right now...

Comment

if i want to do a an internship/resident in usa what exams should i pass? i am from greece.
          and how many the exams costs?
          the above are the right exams for me??
          CLICK the Reputation and the Thanks button!!!
          Tip
          READ THE FORUM RULES AND REGULATIONS, AND UNDERSTAND AND FOLLOW IT
          FOLLOW GUIDELINES FOR POSTING EBOOKS

eLib4vet is the biggest Free Veterinary Library online!
          ancient greek veterinarians

sigpic

Comment

Re: ECFVG certification program Summary

Dear zool,
            If you're doing a residency in the USA I don't think you need to take any examinations (ecfvg wise) but if you plan to "practice" medicine legaly in the USA (like working in an actual veterinary hospital) you will need to enroll in the ECFVG program from the AVMA (american veterinary medical asosiation). Any school/university you're OK as long as you graduated from a degree of veterinary medicine in any country.

Cheers,
            David

Comment

Originally posted by tequilavet View Post
              Dear zool,
              If you're doing a residency in the USA I don't think you need to take any examinations (ecfvg wise) but if you plan to "practice" medicine legaly in the USA (like working in an actual veterinary hospital) you will need to enroll in the ECFVG program from the AVMA (american veterinary medical asosiation). Any school/university you're OK as long as you graduated from a degree of veterinary medicine in any country.

Cheers,
              David
              You can get into residency. But will need to take ECFVG before board exam. And that is not quite easy. Currently very few will accept you without certification.

Comment

By the way - current price for step 3 is $85 now .

From April 1 2012 BCSE is on continuous base. Just got my registrations papers )))

Comment

From my side, I want to share this information with those who can be in the same situation as me, after getting my IBT-TOEFL, I found that my college where I studied veterinary for 5 yrs was not listed in ECFVG world list, when I called their office they asked me to bring a statement in English from the Ministry of education stating that the graduated students of that school are able to practice in the country. I hope this information can be helpful.

Comment

About English test i beleive ILETS is much easier than TOEFL

Comment

I took the TOEFL last August and I passed it. I don't know about IELTS but I think that they shouldn't be way too different

Comment

I agree many people are passing IELTS, they say its easier than the IBT-TOEFL, but theIBT TOEFL , was not that difficult after all, I did study with only Barron's book very close to the real TOEFL..and some websites.

Comment

Candidates who are enrolled in ECFVG or PAVE must have completed the Step 3 examination requirement of the respective certification program before they may be approved by a licensing board to take the NAVLE.

Does it mean we can apply for NAVLE after passing BCSE (without CPE)?

Comment

Originally posted by asppro View Post
                            Candidates who are enrolled in ECFVG or PAVE must have completed the Step 3 examination requirement of the respective certification program before they may be approved by a licensing board to take the NAVLE.

Does it mean we can apply for NAVLE after passing BCSE (without CPE)?
                            Yes. You can register to NAVLE without CPE.
                            That is what I did. Now waiting for dates to be released. If you want to register you gotta be fast - deadline is august 1st.

What state are you at?

Comment

Working...
                            X